The emphasis of this Alberta trip was maintaining and strengthening the relationships with the many young people Crystal and I previously met. It is a four-hour drive from the Edmonton Airport, south-west of Fort McMurray to Wabasca. Big Stone Cree Nation consists of five numbered reserves called 166, 166A, 166B, 166C and 166D. They are located on Calling Lake, Chipewyan Lake and the hamlet of Wabasca-Desmarais. Several ministries joined with Crossroads to support Shavina’s dream, ‘Igniting Hope 4 Restoration’, to reach the youth in these communities with a population of five thousand. In addition to Crossroads’ initial donation, we brought another $500 worth of prizes to further help the weeklong outreach.
Watch Shavina’s story below. God is raising up tremendous young people to reach the next generation.
The next phase of my trip was to Maskwacis. I went to visit the girls who attended the David Mainse/Bill Prankard Youth Mentorship Program last March.
I know how much that meant to them. It instills in them value meaning they are loved. We spent the day at West Edmonton Mall having a blast, visiting stores, playing in the arcade and ending with a meal together. Only Kristie was missing as she was on vacation in BC.
To make a much-needed donation to this work:
Call 1-800-265-3100and give to First Peoples Voices
Mail cheque to:
First Peoples Voices at Crossroads
1295 North Service Rd.
Burlington, ON., L7R 4M2
Share this entry
- Castle Streaming Now Free For AllSeptember 10, 2019 - 2:13 pm
- Zion Church ExpandsAugust 14, 2019 - 11:02 am
- Norma-Jean Mainse : 80 Years of Grace & WitnessAugust 16, 2019 - 1:37 pm
- Summer Student ProgramJuly 31, 2019 - 3:58 pm
- Rev. David Mainse Best Blog of The Year Award – Thank YouJuly 5, 2019 - 10:47 am
- Wabasca to Maskwacis, Northern Alberta MissionSeptember 12, 2019 - 4:45 pm
- Rescue from Human TraffickingAugust 27, 2019 - 3:19 pm
- Northern Saskatchewan Mission TourAugust 20, 2019 - 10:40 am
- Alaska Highway, Northern British Columbia, June 19-25July 10, 2019 - 12:01 pm
- Love In Action: Bringing Fresh Food To Our Indigenous CommunitiesApril 30, 2019 - 3:50 pm
PO Box 5100
Burlington, ON L7R4M2
Western Canada Office
839 - 5 Avenue S.W, Suite 100B
Calgary, AB T2P 3C8
Cindy Melnichuk, Western Partner Representative
24/7 Prayer Lines:
Email: [email protected]